A recipe by Thomas Sampl:
“FRIESENTORTE” WITH A TWIST
0,5 litre Schlemmersahne
300 g plums
300 ml apple juice
150 g sugar
1 pinch of salt
1 sheet of puff pastry
1 vanilla pod
1 wedge of organic lemon
1 tablespoon of icing sugar
STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE TO MAKING THE DISH
1. Defrost the puff pastry and place on a sheet of baking paper.
2. Roll the pastry out and fold it in two. Roll it out again and fold in two again.
3. Repeat this step x4 on each side until the sheet of puff pastry reverts to its original shape.
4. Cut out rounds of pastry and arrange on a baking tray covered with baking paper. Brush with warm water.
5. Bake at 200 degrees Centigrade until the puff pastry circles have puffed up and are golden brown in colour.
6. Mix the cream with half of the icing sugar, halve a vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds.
7. Blend the vanilla mixture with the cream and lemon zest and whip until light and frothy. Season to taste with a pinch of salt.
8. Wash and halve the plums. Let the rest of the sugar caramelise in the pan before deglazing with apple juice.
9. Add the vanilla pod and the halved plums to the pan and simmer. As soon as the mixture has reduced down, remove the vanilla pod and purée everything together.
10. Halve the puff pastry and spread alternately with cream and the plum compote.
11. Finally, garnish with the pastry lid and, optionally, dust with icing sugar.